Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Twin Bed Chicken Coop--Nearly Free!



Alright folks, I am a scrounger. A finder of treasures and a keeper of assorted junk. Out on a walk one day, I had a friend slap a rusty washer out of my hand because I “didn’t need any more crap”! Now, I’ve been inside a hoarder’s home years ago, so I do my best to NOT get myself into that state. But I’m also an art teacher and I appreciate a good find, recycled objects, and anything with an old texture. It’s fun to make something from nothing!
Here’s a brief ‘tutorial’ on how to make a (nearly) free chicken coop…
My son had the bottom half of a wooden bunk bed upstairs AND a wooden futon. Needing to get rid of one (in order to store 2 recently acquired dressers!), I opted to take apart the twin wooden bed. Once apart, I hauled the pieces to the back yard.

First, I decided to staple in some hail screen. I'd bought a couple items at a garage sale across the street and the nice lady threw in a partial roll of hardware cloth for free. I also had some window screen in the garage, but it wasn't as coon-proof or sturdy.

 
Thinking that the length of a twin bed might be too long for my yard, 16” were cut off the side pieces and then I screwed it back together; pre-drilling seems to work better for me, so I pre-drilled almost everything. I had a box of long screws and a box of drywall screws from other projects.  I then screwed the left-over pieces to the ‘back’ of my envisioned chicken house, standing them on end to form a low wall.

No comments: