Sunday, July 6, 2008

Olives and Creamy Butter

I went adventuring up the Flint Hills today on a rarely traveled road--I'd been housesitting for several days and seen many turkey but nary an automobile! It had showered, so I took a bucket and a shovel and set out to dig some wildflowers--purple seems to be the prevalent color of the week, and many shades of it!
I stopped for some light lilac beebalm and ran into this fellow:
He let me carry him up to the truck and patiently waited for me to dig out the camera. I think he liked the view from a high level, as he made no attempt to struggle and didn't zoom away when I released him. Wasn't sure if he might be a rat snake(nah) or a yellow-bellied racer--if so, he was NOT a sprinter!

I might add here, that digging up flowers is IMPOSSIBLE. The shovel will go in about a 1/2 inch and hit rock. It took a lot of work to obtain several different types of purples, but I eventually got some--this plant was a couple feet across in width and was actually quite bright, but looks digitally lackluster here!

After dripping sweat and filling up 1\2 the truck bed with many plants, I drove over the next hill. Holy Cow! I had to stop...I had seen this plant before, just randomly, and only collarbone high, but this scene looked like something from Dr. Seuss:

I parked and jumped out just to see this amazing sight--a huge valley or giant ravine filled with a tremendous forest of flannel mullein. I'd never seen anything like it. Nate had found a little bog in Hawaii; here was a little pocket of "nature gone wild"! It was crazy with these towering sky-high plants. I couldn't reach the tops and I wandered around engrossed in this little microcosm of alien plants on steroids. I read that pioneers lined their shoes with the fuzzy leaves for warmth. Well, these would fit in a giant's shoes:

I'd always thought this plant seemed rather dry and ugly, but I have changed my mind. The whole ravine was filled with yellow blossoms and at their bases grew wild raspberries which also surprised me. I managed to get a pic of an awesome large insect tipped with maroon and orange...some type of hymenoptera nearly 1 1/4" across...and I don't believe we had him as part of the insect collection Bailey won the state entomology contest one year--the freezer and kitchen was filled with everything imaginable, plus enough for classmates too!:



The day ended with a large rock being slipped down a hill, tilted up at an angle at my tailgate, then the impossible task of trying to pick it up. 30 minutes later (getting my thigh trapped under it, then my right hand) I remembered that my brother carried a pole when rock hunting. I found a farmer's fencepost in the ditch and used it to pry/brace/tilt it up enough to push it in.
Here's an intensely sharply-leaved primrose? flower that was quite pretty blowing in the breeze. I thought it's papery petals were a nice contrast to it's devilish needles:

Then I saw a spider larger than the palm of my hand and had to get the hell out of there. Ugh.

3 comments:

Dan Johnson said...

Interesting post, it's hard to keep up with all your blogs, try to entertain you with a witty comment and work on my own (I know, it's all about me).
OK with a snake but scared of a spider?? I'm not so sure about either... I don't always do so well with the vermin and critters... don't tell anybody.

B. Diederich said...

I would think that working outdoors with all that dirty caulk, you'd be dodging wasps and bees while balancing on a ladder...and some spiders too!

Dan Johnson said...

It's funny you say that about the wasps. They generally appear the first day I decide to wear shorts to work-- they'll buzz around my calves while I'm up the ladder. Then being the brainiac that I am, I get crazy and swing a paint-loaded brush at the varmint and paint lands everywhere except where the drop cloths are... D'oh.

A few years ago I was right at the top of a 32ft ladder this spraying the cedar siding on a school. Along the top of the siding was an aluminum flashing and as I sprayed up to it a bat flew out and almost into my head. I'm not a huge fan of the vermin (totally fear based) and I still don't know why I didn't fall off of that ladder.

You probably have them there but we have these "Wolf Spiders" here that can grow fairly large and move quick... good for a rush when you move something and they scramble out from underneath...and then watch the manly painter shriek like a little schoolgirl. If you live in a basement suite here they move indoors after the summer. You'll be lying on the couch at night with only the TV on and out of the corner of your eye you'll catch one haulin' ass across the carpet... they also end up in the bathtub...not a pleasant sight first thing in the morning when you throw back the shower curtain...eeyuck.