Thursday, May 8, 2008

Saint Epitome of Tacky



I ordered an art shirt from Threadless Tues and received it today! I was excited to see a Botticelli; use the seashell image in most paintings and sometimes emulate the faces--either him, Perugino, or Raphael. I'd painted a pic of a Saint which turned out beautifully; the title referred to the embellishments varnished down under layers of colorful oil flowers, patterns representing Klimt, rhinestones, and gold doilies and fine lace that I'd cut up. It sounds tacky but was so cool...it was hung in the Strecker-Nelson and actually SOLD!
I felt a pang of sadness when I got the call; when I make something I become part of it and want to keep my things forever--mine, all mine! and because it was a painting that my mother actually liked (most items she views as....odd?); It would have been her Christmas present. Maybe.
I opened the check and had a slight heart attack. Ron Perlman. I immediately thought of the movie "The Name of the Rose", I adore it (a movie about books)--Ron Perlman is so hideous. The whole thing is intriguing with Sean Connery and Christian Slater...but this Ron Perlman was from Chicago. Ahhhh. Still, it was a thrill that someone else enjoyed it too...

No comments: