Sunday, November 25, 2012

Big Chief Tablet Desk

When I got this little wobbly desk, I thought it might be a good project to work on,  wanting to save it from becoming one of those Pinterest aqua-painted shabby-chic furniture pieces that are becoming oh so common nowadays...
So, I thought I'd quickly scrape/strip off the multiple layers of paint, get it down to some nicely dark-stained, glowing wood with a single creamy white drawer. WRONG!
$on of a bitch, people! Three days of scraping with a variety of tools, steel wool, wire brushes and three different kinds of lame stripper and I remained far from my goal....why don't they bring back liquid Red Devil that ate off paint like the acid blood from the Alien movies!?? Gah!
Plus I cut my finger twice flying about the kitchen making Thanksgiving Dinner and being more creative by trying 'Sweet Potato Ravioli with Sage Butter Sauce'--a bit too heavy handed w/ the nutmeg....but I digress.
Sore fingers do not handle sandpaper well so I GAVE UP and grabbed some thin black paint. (Sigh)  I rubbed the thin paint with Ebony stain to sorta stay within my goal, left the top a nice wood (retaining its nostalgic burn mark, scar, ink & bleach stain, added antique-looking 'mercury glass' knobs to the drawer and, completed the piece with (TA DAH!) BIG CHIEF! 











No comments: