Thursday, August 14, 2008

4:00 am

This early morning hour is beginning to get a little strange... today was myself answering Brigg's call--"I just hit a deer."
When you get a call that early, you usually force your brain into action, knowing that it can't be your normal, everyday phone call. (Except for Tegan, calling from Hong Kong or Guam...and those were exciting or a relief.)Anyway, my first sentence was this statement...."Aren't you glad you weren't on a motorcycle?" (He'd been wanting one all summer and didn't seem to be listening to his elders remind him of deer and death) followed by, "It's all right. Are you OK?"
Someone totaled Bailey's car on her first day of classes when she went to KU... then she'd used my red truck for a few days and had returned it when she started to cry in the living room...she'd just hit someone with my truck too, and thought I'd be mad! It wasn't too noticeable and to me the only thing that matters wasn't any darn vehicle but the humans involved, plus, what can you do about it anyway?!

Brig thought he'd totaled my truck and believe me, I drove his truck pretty slowly going to pick him up--I didn't want to run into a creature either. The Chevy didn't look good by flashlight (or flashing lights!), but Copfriend hauled it back to town this afternoon and it will be fixable. New windshield, new hood--(it flew up, bent, and blinded him), whole new front, lights, blah blah... and when I said, "let's find the deer", Brigs was more focused on catching a grasshopper resting on a weed beside it...so I think he was shook up. (That, or it is really hard for him to look at a dead animal unless it is a squirrel or bird.)
It is an expensive lesson/experience, but I guess its beneficial to know what an accident feels like...like they say...you learn something new every day.... or as Bailey says, "Too many deer?! RELEASE THE PANTHERS!"
Just had to post this little fawn...Brig worked on his truck a couple weeks ago at Capone's place by Alma...they'd been raising a motherless fawn since birth on a bottle. They moved it outdoors as soon as it was deemed safe/best for the little thing, but it came to the door every day to be fed several times. Isn't this just the cutest little pic?

1 comment:

Dan Johnson said...

Talk about "deer in the headlights."

We hit a deer late one night on the road from Penticton to Naramata in tne Okanagon region of our province. The car was pretty much totaled and the deer was maimed and suffering on the side of the road. Kind of gross but fortunately there was an older guy (he was 27, we were 19) with to put the poor animal out of it's misery.

There's lots of deer on Bowen island, the roads are tight and the things just leap out of nowhere...