Tuesday, August 5, 2008

More Trash....

I was berating myself lately for not doing anything this summer (like editing wedding photos--but Brigg hogs the computer so much) and I decided I would post the few random items that I DID do-- not REAL art, but at least its some items that won't make me seem like a total lazy loser...
(I canned 13 jars of tomatoes, but that doesn't count, and painting the upper outside of the house by Bailey's old room doesn't either, nor does making cakes for Brett and Paula with leftover wedding frosting....)
Here's what I've been doing:
1. Homemade crocheted rag rugs: a bright 'Tropical' one at Sandy's cottage; a 'Brown+blue' one in the bathroom; one I call 'Americana' that I don't want cause its not my color scheme (I don't really have a color scheme since nothing matches anyway, but Americana would make it even worse!); and leftover strips of random materials that I just call 'Party Vomit'. Tearing strips of old skirts/pants/dresses (trash) and mindlessly crocheting with a giant hook in front of HGTV is a great excuse to pretend one is actually being creative--plus you can stay in out of the heat!

2. Pounded out some of my vast collection of beer caps with a hammer to nail to the roof of a bird house....trash for SHINGLES! Later I will paint the bird house too...here is the current one and an old one... I kind of like the rusty look, but I sprayed the new one to preserve the color for a bit longer... (I don't drink all these--I beg people for the colorful, unusual ones and Teg and Bail have donated to the cause! This reminds me to re-inform Cardman of this task when he travels to New Zealand...)



3. Starting a new drawing based on a jellyfish and stack of tires.... can only work a few minutes at a time since I don't have much patience and the lighting in here is terrible in the evenings...


4. Another collage book called (of course) "The Wasteland"...although I should have titled it based on the Prufrock poem and the line: "I have measured out my life with coffee spoons"... Yup. I shore do!

3 comments:

Dan Johnson said...

Man, I have trouble with one blog, your art is awesome. I guess you're off school for the summer...Party Vomit-perfect...

B. Diederich said...

Thank you...I lost my real glasses (had to get glasses a couple years ago--for reading), and I'm just using cheapo Walmart glasses--that's the real reason that I don't concentrate on anything for long periods of time...afraid I might ruin my eyes.

No, I'm probably really just lazy!

Dan Johnson said...

I use the cheapo glasses as well...only London Drugs. Bren, I'm the same-- a little lazy, but you do seem to get out of the gate fairly quick. Maybe you spread yourself a little thin...but what do I know?